This is very easy-to-make and delicious. A simple, simply great salad, worth keeping its recipe. Thanks to fashion designer Rebecca Minkoff for sharing it.
4 cooked beets, thinly sliced
2 large shallots, minced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
juice of 1 large lemon
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup pine nuts
10 cups mesclun
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large orange bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
4 ounces fresh goat cheese
salt and pepper to taste
STEPS TO MAKE IT:
- Wash the beets, cut their ends, and boil them covered in water for 30 minutes. After cooked, let them cool, then slice them thinly.
- Sauté the garlic in melted butter, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes, until garlic is golden brown. Put it aside to cool down, and keep the just used pan unclean.
- Whisk the shallots, olive oil, Dijon mustard and lemon juice in a small bowl, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown the pine nuts for three minutes in the used pan, stirring occasionally – they’re very delicate and easy to burn, so please be careful.
- Place the mesclun on the bottom of a big salad bowl and drizzle it with olive oil. Add the pepper, beets, tomatoes, cranberries and pine nuts. Combine the dill to the bowl with sautéed garlic with olive oil, mix it well until it’s even. Drizzle the salad with the dressing and toss the salad. Season to taste, and crumble goat cheese over top. Ready to serve.
Yield: 4 servings
EXCELLENT RECIPES by Lucas Eller